All applicants who are coming to the Ethiopian Embassy in Kampala in person for visa service must fill the visa application form in advance before coming to the office.
General Information about VISA
The Ethiopian Embassy in Kampala issues Diplomatic, Service, Business, Tourist and Transit visas. Based on the applicants’ request, the Embassy issues Single or Multiple entry visa.
Holder of Diplomatic or Service passport or United Nation LP should produce a Note Verbal from Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Embassy or International Organizations, so that the applicant will have visa for gratis.
Business visa can be issued for investment activities, employment in any business activity, for humanitarian service without remuneration, for participation in symposium/exhibition/ workshops, for study and research, for mass media activities.
- For Business visa, a guarantee letter from the Institution/Organization/Enterprise or a formal letter of invitation or recommendation from Ethiopia is needed.
- Transit visa shall be issued to a foreigner who is traveling to another country across Ethiopia.
- Tourist visa might be given up to 90 days. A six month tourist visa is given only for Ethiopian origins.
- Any visa application for more than 90 days, the applicant need to contact the Consular Section before paying the visa fee.
- Visa fee is the same for all persons (Adults and children).
- It is important to note that you have made the necessary payment for the service in the Embassy.
Payment is made only in cash, in United States Dollar. Do not send cash with the application by envelop. The Embassy does not accept cheques, visa card or any other type of card. Send your payment receipt together with the application. If any one pays for some other person (s), write the full name of the person (s) on the receipt to whom the payment is made.
- Any amount of money paid to the Embassy account is not refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.
For application through post, it is a must to enclose a pre-paid and self-addressed envelope. The Embassy does not accept any payment for postage. Hence, applicants do not need to pay for postage and must send an envelope.
Except Kenyans and Djiboutians, all foreign nationals are required to have valid visa to enter Ethiopia.
However, nationals of the following countries can obtain on arrival visas at Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa of entry. Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, People’s Republic of China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea Republic, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America.
Apart from the nationals of the above mentioned States, all other foreign nationals will have to obtain their valid visas from Ethiopian Diplomatic Missions accessible to them. Passengers in transit in Ethiopia, holding confirmed onward bookings, can obtain transit visas within 72 hours.